This site is dedicated to the 1988-1999 Bentley Turbo R, the fastest production model and best selling model ever. .
Bentley Turbo R
All alloy V8, conventional configuration.
Bore x stroke 104.14 x 99.06 mm (4.1 x 3.9 in), 6,750cc.
Lucas electronic ignition with Solex 4A1 4-barrel downdraught carburettor (to 1986)
Bosch MK-Motronic fuel injection (to 1994)
Zytek EMS3 engine management system (1995)
Garrett AiResearch turbocharger type TO4B
Gearbox - 3 speed auto to 1991, 4 speed auto 1992 on.
Brakes - 4 wheel discs, ALB from 1986.
Wheelbase: 3,061 mm (120.5 in) Long wheelbase 3,161 mm (124.5 in).
Tyres: 275/55VR15 on 1985 model - later models had 255/65VR16 (1993) and 255/55WR17 (1994 on).
Performance: max 220 kph ('85), 235kph ('88), 249 kph (1995) [135mph to 150mph]
Production 1985 - 1995
4653 Bentley Turbo R
1211 Bentley Turbo R long wheelbase
The following is based on the factory sales brochure circa 1995:
The ultimate sporting high performance saloon, with luxurious accommodation for four adults and luggage. A 0-60mph acceleration time of under six seconds and maximum speed of 150mph is achieved with astonishing refinement and comfort. The crisp, dramatic new lines of the exterior are complemented by a redesigned interior with improved comfort and driver control, confirming the Turbo R's stature as a unique driving experience.
- Wrap-around and colour-matched bumpers with integral finisher lip. The re-proportioned radiator shell, integral front airdam, new exterior mirror system and spare wheel mounted within the luggage compartment all contribute to the smooth, integrated exterior appearance.
- Swept-through console with touchopening burr walnut veneer panels to reveal the in-car entertainment system and smoker's accessories.
- Automatic ride control provides computer control of the suspension dampers to optimise ride comfort and handling.
- Transmission shift energy management and adaptive shift control provide computer control of the gearbox to produce smooth gear changes under all conditions.
- Dynamic shift pattern (DSP) modifies the gear change points in 'normal' mode according to driving style.
- Zytek EMS3 engine management system provides high density 32x32 site bit-maps for fuelling and ignition, enabling more accurate engine mapping, so providing greater efficiency, power and almost instant throttle response.
- CFC-free air conditioning system.
- 6.75 litre V8 engine with exhaust driven turbocharger and intercooler.
- Digital boost control system.
- 7.5Jx17 aluminium alloy wheels fitted with directional 255/55WR17 tyres
- Centre console-mounted gearshift with sport/standard gear change pattern selector.
- Four speed electronically controlled automatic gearbox with torque converter lock-up.
- Maximum power 286.1 kW (386 bhp) at 4000 rpm
- Maximum torque 750 Nm (553lbft) between 2000 and 3450 rpm
- Maximum speed 241 km/h (150 mph)
- Acceleration (0-60 mph) under six seconds
Fuel consumption European Union drive cycle Monroney label Urban 25.7 1/100 km (11.0 mpg) 11 mpg USl Extra urban (Highway) 13.3 1/100 km (21.2 mpg) 16 mpg USl Combined 17.8 1/100 km (15.9 mpg) 13 mpg US
- Wheelbase 3016 mm (120.5 in)
- Overall length 5294 mm (17ft 4.4 in)
- Overall width (across mirrors) 2110 mm (6ft 11.1 in)
- Overall height 1485 mm (4ft 10.5 in)
- Turning circle (kerb to kerb) 12.16m (39ft 10.7 in)
- Underside of the bodyshell is zinc-coated and undergoes a ten-stage metal pre-treatment process prior to cathodic electro-priming. Multi-stage painting process with the latest 'clear over base' paint technology.
- Flexibilised polymer clearcoat lacquer applied to the front surfaces of the motor car provides increased stone chip protection, yet is almost invisible to the eye.
- Elastomeric stone-chip protective coating is applied to the sill and wheel arch areas prior to painting.
- Four channel electronic anti-lock system and anti-dive geometry.
- Full-sized driver and front seat passenger airbags.
- Double anti-side intrusion beams to doors.
- Dual level air conditioning designed to maintain driver alertness.
- Orthopaedically designed seating system helps to reduce occupant stress levels.
- Careful attention to weight distribution under all loading cases, together with full-length lever arm front suspension and semi-trailing arm rear suspension with Panhard rod provide a safe and progressive handling characteristic at all times.
- Four door saloon with accommodation for up to five adults.
- Tilt-adjustable steering wheel enables the ideal driving position to be reached, improves instrument visibility and has 'easy entry-exit' feature.
- Memory facility allows the positions of the seat, exterior mirrors and steering wheel of four different drivers to be recalled.
- Front passenger seat fitted with four memories for seat position.
- Air conditioning outlets for rear seat passengers permit individual control of the rear cabin environment.
- Independently adjustable rear seats with opening centre box armrest on the Turbo RL.
- 4x30 Watt tuner-cassette audio system, with 6 CD autochanger mounted in centre console armrest, playing through a ten speaker system.
- Remote control of incar entertainment system for rear seat passengers.
- Full hide upholstery, Wilton carpet and lambswool rugs.
- Burr walnut veneer with straight grained walnut cross-banding.
- Two stage front seat heating with Bi-level lumbar support system.
Much of the information above is based on the factory brochure, as published on the Australian RR Owners Club site. Modified for brevity and clarity.
Webmaster: Wayne Smith -